Friday, January 4, 2013

The Beginning


The Initial Set-up
I have talked about it for years - I wanted one so bad - but living a lifestyle where this is the 6th apartment I have lived in for 5 years... it just wouldn't be fair.

Could you imagine the costs of moving it that many times? Never mind the stress on every organism involved.

Well, some things have changed. I moved in with this amazing girl. A girl who loves to see me happy - one that doesn't always remember how engrossed I become in something that I get excited about.

Remember the camera I bought? and then the lenses I needed... and then the fastest memory card... and the tripod... and PhotoShop...

Well here is another occasion where that camera will be put to good use.

In cahoots with my Dad and Stepmom - she decided that she would help me start a Saltwater Fish Tank for Christmas. Using some supplies from the one I had in my house when I was younger. It was a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) set-up - 90 gallons tank with stand, a protein skimmer, a canister filter, Fluorescent Lighting, and about 50 pounds of live (currently dead) rock.


To the left - Eheim Professional 2228 Canister Filter
To the right - SeaClone SCPS 150 Protein Skimmer

 Live (dry/dead) Rock
Ornamental Simulated Coral for FOWLR tank

I was of course grateful for the components... but as I stated previously - I become engrossed... both feet in - I never even stop to take a breath. In a matter of minutes I went from a FOWLR to the fact that I wanted a full reef system - corals, anemones, fish, and invertebrates.

Anyone who doesn't understand what this change means -well I can show you with one symbol - $

In order to get to a full reef tank I will need to change some of the equipment - modify what some is used for, and buy a whole bunch of new things.

This is going to be a long road - lots of time, effort, and money.

It will be interesting - full of science, beautiful pictures, stress, and hopefully an amazing mini ecosystem.

Follow me to learn what it takes!


No comments:

Post a Comment